VoA LFM roll or role?
On the odd occasion that the Alliance actually wins Wintergrasp on my server it's not unusual to see a flood of LFG or LFM VoA spam. The one thing I noticed on the weekend is that there are a lot of people out there that don't know, or realise, that the words 'Roll' and 'Role' mean two very different things.
"LFM VoA25. pst roll achievement and gs for invite"
I'm not usually a 'word snob', and I'm not always the poster boy for perfect spelling and grammar, but on the weekend the 'roll' thing got to me. Am I supposed to /roll to get into a PUG now? Is it highest roll wins a place? If a group needs a healer, and a Priest rolls a 1 and a Hunter rolls a 43, does that mean the Hunter gets the spot in the group even though he/she can't fulfil a healing role?
So consider this a public service announcement. I now present to you the abridged dictionary definition of the word 'Roll'.
–verb (used without object)
1. to move along a surface by revolving or turning over and over, as a ball or a wheel.
2. to move or be moved on wheels, as a vehicle or its occupants.
3. to flow or advance in a stream or with an undulating motion, as water, waves, or smoke.
4. to extend in undulations, as land.
Here is the abridged definition of the word 'Role'.
1. a part or character in a play, film, etc, to be played by an actor or actress
2. psychol the part played by a person in a particular social setting, influenced by his expectation of what is appropriate
3. usual or customary function: what is his role in the organization?
So there you have it. Two words that sound the same but are spelt differently, and have very different meanings. Class dismissed.